In the wake of Coronavirus, we have seen the government and the MOH come out to give guidelines we should follow to protect ourselves and the people around us from the deadly infection. We have also learned from health professionals that the virus stays on hard surfaces for a long time (hours-days). Among the hard surfaces includes our mobile phones which we hold and carry for the bigger part of the day. These mobile phones carry the virus and spread it if not cleaned thoroughly even after washing or disinfecting your hands.
Today I will discuss the ways in which you can clean your mobile phone as a way of preventing infections from a phone. According to this link from the BBC, directly applying some soaps and sanitizers on the mobile phone screen may damage the protective coating of the screen. To keep your phone clean, you can use ordinary soap and water and follow these steps.
- Dump a very soft (microfiber) cloth in normal soap and water. Hard cloths may damage your phone.
- Unplug your phone, turn it off and remove the case.
- Gently wipe the surfaces of the phone with the damp cloth.
- CAUTION: Take care not to get moisture in any of the openings because even water-resistant phones lose their protection over time. Do not submerge your phone in the cleaning solution or any other kind of sanitizer.
- Finally, dry your phone with a clean microfiber cloth.
- Wipe the casing with the solution as well and dry it before putting the phone back.